Saturday, November 20, 2010

waiting for the movie

This is for the first shot of Simon. It will start in present time then go back in time to the dinosaur age.


This is just a crowd shot of people standing in line waiting for a movie. The drawings are blatantly stolen from a talented animator I worked with on 'Pixel Pinkie', Paul Newell.

Throughout the production he did these great caricatures of everyone on the production as well as some really funny comics. Roseline posted a few here


Some of these other people may be dinosaur food.

It was fun to try and draw in his style. It was something of a learning process as I tried to not directly copy but to understand the very clear simple shapes/structure, the rounded/soft line style and trying to add in my own specific personality and character into the drawings to make it feel natural.


This image will most likely be on screen for under a second and will be competing with the background and foreground elements. Heh, that's animation.

12 comments:

Rabbit Town Art said...

Awesome stuff Tim! Love the characters....will you put some of our crew as dino food too? :)

mrmerks said...

one of the things I wanted to do was with the background characters was to base them all off people I know. So yep there will be some ettamogah in the dino's diet.

I might ask Grimshaw to pass on some caricatures of everyone.

Clayton McIntosh said...

That is gold! I wan't that t-shirt that I'm wearing. Hung made me laugh really really hard here in the library. His attitude is so funny and the shirt is hilarious (even though I don't get it). A truly golden drawing and everyone has so much character.

mrmerks said...

ha cheers Clay. I tried to base your shirt off one of your drawings...without looking at your drawings haha

Hungs shirt will make sense when the series is finished but it will be a secret gag.

Glad you liked it

Clayton McIntosh said...

Yeah I thought that may have been the case. Do you have a job at the moment? You've put more content on this blog in the past week than I have in the last year. Tis Awesome!

mrmerks said...

Ha no not at the moment. A couple of freelance gigs but that's about it, I finished dogstar a few months ago and I felt I needed to create something of my own which is why I'm doing work on this film.

Hey you should totally draw a manly man for my drawing challenge. That's some good motivation to update your blog

Clayton McIntosh said...

Maybe... your little challenge is a little confusing.

mrmerks said...

haha well it comes down to two choices

1. photoshop or whatever paint the pencil work I've done
(you could even just copy and paste the head of simon onto..I dunno a horse to make it more manly)

2. Or just come up with your own super manly drawing, which most people want to do

Paul Newell said...

My lawyer will be in touch.

Well, Jamie dressed as a lawyer....

mrmerks said...

Oh no! He uses dry brush

Paul Newell said...

And a splat!

mrmerks said...

haha oh yeah that's what I have to look out for